Hackney Rugby Club's annual 10s tournament - the Matt Elliott Cup, was held on Sunday amidst a tropical rain storm. A chance for old and new players to don their boots for a day of fun and frolics down at Springhill Park. With the use of several gazebos, the new changing rooms and plenty of food and drink, everyone's spirits were kept high throughout which made for a thoroughly entertaining day.

Despite the rain there was an excellent turn-out, massive amounts of enthusiasm and and outstanding level of rugby on show. The Hackney V's ending up triumphant with a 'golden try' in extra time of the final.

The players arrived at the ground with the rain pouring down and a gaggle of geese having their own game on one of the pitches. Six teams fighting for the chance to lift the most coveted trophy of the season. This year for the first time, guest teams were making an appearance, the Veterans led by old boy Erroll Campbell and the swaggering youngsters from London Metropolitan University. Some fantastic play was seen throughout the day, with teams keen to top their group to make it to the final. After some tight and thrilling encounters the confident students of the Met made it into the final to play the Hackney Vs, whilst the Green Robots battled and won the wooden spoon against the vets. The final was a fraught and frantic tussle with the conditions playing their part. The Met had the upper hand in the first half scoring after a period of sustained pressure, scrapping for possession throughout and were unfortunate not to take a two try lead into the second half. The Hackney V's fought back in the second period with some good territorial play forcing the met to play from deep. Finally Hackney made the breakthrough with space out wide James Hardwick 'goose-stepped' his man and forced his pass back inside to the supporting Alex O'Hara who slid over the line to equal the scores. With time running out both teams were forcing the pace but no score was to come before the final whistle. Extra time was agreed and first to score would lift the trophy. Hackney continued to press and thought they had won it after an impressive break by Damian Bouvier who fed James Hardwick to cross the line but the try was ruled out for a previous infringement. Moments later O'Hara gathered the ball five metres out and crashed over the line to secure the winning score and the title. Photographic evidence later showed that the ball was in fact dropped just short of the line but the referees decision was final and Hackney Vs were crowned Matt Elliott Cup 10s Champions 2012.

The day raised a total of  £912.17, at the request of Matt's family; this will be spent on funding future coaches.

 Photos of the day can be found here and here