The Christmas break seemed to do the Griffins a lot of good, with only one side being in this contest for the vast majority of the game.

Solid carrying with ball in hand, 'Hoppers indiscipline and a fully functioning lineout meant Hackney marched up the field at will in the first half. After a penalty goal opened the score, A. Maul sensed the first try scoring opportunity from the visitors 22 after a screwed clearance kick, and duly added 7 points. Enthusiastic kick chasing all afternoon from Hackney tilted field position in their favour and forced errors from the Grasshoppers back three. Sean Conner pounced on one such error and appeared to be certain to score but was felled by a trip from behind. However the home side didn't have to wait for their next try with your bog standard O'Hara trundle from 5 yards making it 20-0.

With the West London away side now wounded by a yellow card and further penalties, it was time for the Griffins to turn on the style, and turn on the style they did. From the deep restart Matt Strong made a dramatic sliding catch inches from the ground, instead of benefitted from Matt's lack of momentum at this point Grasshoppers became confused by his theatrics and allowed Strong to break clear untouched. Matt found Frost via the always in support Wilkinson to set up a ruck in 'Hoppers half. With the visitors now reeling from the 50 meter break O'Hara feed the overlapping PJ through Conner's hands, the Irish winger looked destined to be shoved into touch at the goal line by the covering defender but flicking the ball behind his back allowed Sean to collect the ball off his toes and score one of the team tries of the season.

Grasshoppers managed to make more of an impact in the second half with two tries, but their wingers were constantly turned to field O'Hara's kicks and asked to play from deep, which meant Hackney never lost their territorial advantage. After Matia smartly finished a backline move for the bonus point try, the Grasshoppers wingers frustration told in trying to do too much from inside their own 22 area and lost possession to hand Wilkinson's fourth try of the season to him on a silver platter. Conner wrapped up proceedings with some smart dribbling skills after Frost's clever grubber kick and his second score.