This weekend Hackney travelled away to top of the table Wasps Amateurs knowing that a win was a must to stay in the race for promotion. However within minutes of arriving at home of the Wasps RFC training ground, Hackney were taken back by the quality of the facility Wasps Am's had at their disposal and knew that this would be a tight game.

From the whistle Hackney looked very sharp and made early breaks with James Dawson and Ben Chamberlain finding gaps in the Wasps defence and making good runs to pin Wasps back in their own 22. Hackney pile on the early pressure and played the first 20 minutes in Wasps half. Early pace from outside centre Agboola Silverthorn dominating his opposite man gave Hackney further yards, and if not for a very impressive Wasps Am's full back an early lead.

However Wasps soon woke up and started attacking the Hackney fringe which exposed Hackney's weakness to even up the game. With 20 minutes left of the first half Hackney continued to get penalised for their rucking and maul play, eventually being pushed back into their own 22. With Hackney in disarray over some dubious refereeing decisions, Wasps took the initiative and flooded the contact area with support runners to cross the line three times within 10 minutes, giving them a healthy lead. With Hackney's heads low, Wasps ended the first half with a penalty kick to give them a strong 20 point lead going into the 2nd half.

Wasps Am's 20 – Hackney 0 (HT)

With the blow of the half time whistle Hackney Coach Ben Scanlan gave Hackney a fierce warning to improve their defensive play or to lose the game by a landslide, and with Bens words in mind Hackney returned to the pitch with renewed vigor.

Hackney's defence stayed strong throughout the 2nd half, with Hackney forwards Newton Mills, Johnny Crocket and Charlie Davies making huge tackles to stops Wasps in their tracks. With Hackney's brick wall defence Wasps opted to play a kicking game, which gave the Hackney back three space to counter and make good yards. From this excellent counter play Hackney took their first opportunity of the match with Newton Mills driving over the line from 5 yards to put points on the board for Hackney (Wasps 20 – Hackney 5). Hackney continued their attacking form and piled on the pressure with the Hackney forwards pack making huge stride with their rolling mauls, which eventually enabled Will Bowers to cross the line for Hackney's 2nd try, converted by Alex O'Hara. Hackney's defence stayed strong and the only points Wasps could get from the 2nd half were from a penalty kick.
With two tries in quick succession and minutes left on the clock Hackney continued to look dominant, chipping away at Wasps strong first half lead with a penalty kick from Alex O'Hara to make the final score Wasps 23 – Hackney 12.

Too little, too late was the summary of the dressing room talk, with Hackney now having to win all their remaining games in order to stay in the promotion race , and with the next game away to Old Millihians Hackney must look to get a bonus point win.

MOTM: Charlie Davies for his impressive return to the 1st, and never say die attitude.