Another saturday and another milestone for Hackney RFC with the first Hackney 4th team taking the pitch for nearly a decade. The team was made up of a mixture of veterans, debutants, a couple of returnees from injury and friends up for a game of rugby on a fine, bright October day. The opening exchanges where full blooded and at high tempo, which set a pattern for the match.

Finchley took an early lead with a penalty kick from 10 meters out, then Hackney took over with a lead they would not surrender, scoring a try made by the backs cutting through the Finchley defence and finished by flanker Tom Boylston. Darren Griffin converted, then soon after kicked a pentalty from just outside the 22. Hackney now dominated the game, competing well in the forwards andproviding quick ball for captain Charlie Davis at scrum half, to supply the backs who's good hands and strong running belied the fact they hardly knew each other's names! From the scrum blindside flanker Luke Parker, on debut and not having played for years, picked up a loose ball and weaved through the stunned Finchley defenders from just inside the halfway line to score under the posts, scoring a brilliant individual try. Finchley pulled a try back exploiting some poor Hackney tackling, but this was the last time they would trouble the scoreboard. The game was played with passion and commitment: this was a friendly in name only and towards the end of the half an exchange of blows between Hackneys guest prop (known only as 'Jack') and the Finchley number 22 saw both men yellow carded and sent to the stands.

In the second half Finchley started the brighter with a series of rolling mauls that put them deep into Hackney territory, but the defenders hung on manfully not letting Finchley past their 10 meter line. After a long period of sustained attack the home side infringed at the breakdown, giving the ball back to Hackney and coming away with nothing for their effort. This somewhat broke their spirit and from then on Hackney's dominance increased as did Finchley's fractiousness. Tries for Hackney followed - a typical fast break from the Flying Vicar, Nigel Beynon, and a finish under the posts after some good support running from club captain Darren Griffin, who enjoyed a good day with the boot, kicking nine points and finding decent touch with his clearing kicks. Towards the end of the match the same Finchley player who had previously been yellow carded was shown a red for punching Charlie Davis when he was prone on the ground, but by then the damage had been done and Hackney's win was assured.

Fine performances came from all the Hackney players, special mention goes to all the debutants including Ollie Cooper for an assured performance at fullback, Luke Parker rampaging at blindside flanker and Will Petrych at prop. Fellow prop AJ also had a fine game, in the scrum and making two bullocking runs that set up a superb last try that went through many phases involving all players, finished by Will Latus. AJ also provided the typically Hackney style transport for the players' return. The veterans rolled back the years: club president Roy Irwin, secretary Simon Ferguson and George Noga playing what he believes to be his 40th season for the club. However, the main story was Hackney RFC fielding 77 players over four sides, with around 13 debutants in the fourth team, providing competitive rugby for all players at the club.