With three players making their 1st team debuts, and a plethora of changes from the previous week, continuity was an unlikely buzzword around Spring Hill. However a dominant performance was churned out with the scoreline flattering the visitors who took advantage of two errors in the first half, but offered little, resorting to kicking in most positions against a forceful Hackney defence.

The first half was patchy for Hackney, with tries conceded from individual mistakes. A booming up and under was knocked on by James Rowbottom and the resulting ball was hacked forward and pounced on for the try. Likewise, Hackney failed to recover from a refereeing error in their own 22, with James Dawson failing to make one of his customary hits. Such is life the Hackney way, but as the past few weeks have proved, the ethos within the team helps to rectify any errors.

The tries for the home side: John Tully forced his way over from five yards out, and defied basic physics by staying in the pitch despite the attentions of four OP defenders. An early offside meant OP found themselves, not for the last time, down in terms of numbers in a double blow. A second try of the half came from Alex O'Hara who danced through the cover and went under the posts to set up an easy conversion. He missed. The second half started quickly with James Davis making use of space outwide to round his man and dot down, before the final try arrived courtesy of Alex O'Hara as again he nipped under the posts. This time Shaun Rooke took kicking duties, hitting the post from in front. It was not Hackney's finest day with the boot!

Whilst three tries arrived via the backs, this was truly a herculean effort in the pack, with some great work off the back of rucks. Andy Pilkington was a giant in the tight and the loose, carrying manfully and making a pain of himself in defence. Chris McMahon's workrate in defence was very impressive, belying a man who had lost half a stone through recent illness! Ben Chamberlain was superb all day; making some glorious breaks, carrying forcefully whilst also making a cover tackle that could have graced any pitch in the world, while the rest of the pack all carried, rucked and tackled as though they were hopeful of a last minute call up to the EPS ahead of the autumn internationals. In the second half, the ease with which the tries was scored was down to great work by the pack, as OPs had to pull in their backs, supplemented by deft handling skills.

A second yellow for OP was dished out for dumping Curtis Hobday on his neck; sadly for Hackney the referee called play back when Charlie Davis was away under the posts, testament to a deft pass from Curtis that bamboozled his opposite number into committing assault. Soon after, a third yellow, for cynically killing the ball, meant OP were down to 13, but Dom Beno was sent to the bin for 10 minutes for some off-the-ball play. The Hackney defence remained resolute however, with Mike Harris making an impact in the loose with some good tackles, before Dom returned to continue a great days work and arguably his best performance in a Hackney shirt, including one memorable bullocking run to set up quick ball for one of the tries.

MotM: John Tully put in a truly inspirational performance on Saturday with a brilliant try, tacklling as though he was up against the All Blacks and carrying like a giant.